Sunday, April 17, 2011

Putting in the bones


            This week was a weird one since we had all our classes, something which I feel we haven’t had in a while.
            On Monday we were assigned the last of our main group of muscles.  I was happy about this because muscles are what are the most difficult for me to get right they take time and are frustrating.  But I wasn’t expecting to be sad; I guess I got a little attached to doing them without realizing it.  We started drawing the hand after learning the muscles that help move a couple of the fingers, however I was confused as to where to put things underneath since I had never really learned about hands.
            On Tuesday I went in to life drawing, it was a new experience because I asked the model to move around the stage since that is what Pixar and Disney do in there research to be able to draw a more dynamic figure in the actual animation.  It was really hard to do because you had to capture the essence of the moment by exaggerating the features all while looking at reality.  It was really tough but I hope to get better at these kind of quick gestures of real life, perhaps during the summer I’ll be able to go to a park and just sketch the people around.
            Wednesday came with a lecture on the hands and I was very happy about that.  They seem to be very similar to the feet, which biologically is very interesting because it makes you wonder if humans once walked with their hands as well.  We got to choose to draw either the skeleton or Annie’s hands, I decided to draw from real life just because I felt like perhaps seeing them in action first would help me understand the dynamics of a hand rather than a hand that is just lying there.  As you can see from my drawing I had a little trouble with the foreshortening of the thumb but other than that I was very proud of how my drawing came out.
            Friday on the other hand was very frustrating because I hadn’t gotten any sleep on Thursday.  This lack of sleep made it very hard to be able to use my head and analyze what the hand really looks like.  I don’t really have much to say about it other than it was a waste of a day and I am sad about that, hopefully this week ill get some time to study the hand by myself to make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment