Sunday, March 13, 2011

Using the force


I feel like this week went by super fast perhaps it is because I missed Wednesday because I thought that the roads were going to worsen.  As the weeks progress I feel like our time is coming closer to a end, and I feel like I have only begun.  Really I think the midterm really showed me that I have a lot that I would still like to learn if nothing else I hope that I will be able to use my time over break to really get down what we have been learning all semester so far. 
I went to savers today, thrift store, looking for some inspiration and like always wondered over to the book section and found a colored anatomy book.  I think I will try to understand the muscles more while looking at this book and copying them down and comprehending them.  I feel as if I spend a lot of time working on my muscles but not comprehending what I am really doing and therefore I hope to correct this.
Currently I am reading a book on called “force” by Michael d mattesi, and I have really enjoyed all the different perspectives on drawing that he has stated.  He says that we often are drawing only to produce a good drawing not for the experience of drawing which I think is a very interesting way to think about it because often times in our society we are told that the grade or what something does in society is why it is important.  But the place you end up with a drawing shouldn’t be the most important rather it should be the experience that you have with the drawing that is the most important.  On Tuesday I decided to follow what he was saying by doing one of his exercises, called the forceful flight, and though the drawing turned out pretty sketchy I feel that I finally understood what he was talking about. 
            On Friday we then had a hour long pose and I just couldn’t get it right but even still though I was frustrated with the product and how it looked during the drawing I enjoyed the actual experience of the drawing and I think that is all that really matters.

If anyone would like to read the book it can also be found as a preview online on google books.

No comments:

Post a Comment