Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week Four-

This week we worked a lot on actually drawing.  We added the pelvis and started to learn what the pelvis actually was supposed to do within the body.  We also learned the proportion of the pelvis to the ribcage.  I think that it is a lot more fun to draw the pelvis and the ribcage together because with those two pieces of information you can understand the whole direction and motion of the entire body.  I thought when the teacher had said that most the movement and importance was in the torso, and the legs and arms were only attachments, that perhaps the torso was something that was more dynamic then I thought but still would be pretty stable.  Now I understand that it is the center of a whole picture and by drawing these two objects I feel like I understand everything else in that picture.  Somehow it reminds me of an exercise I saw in a book labeled the illusion of life where animators pretend to have half full sacks of flour and by drawing that in different positions they can understand the how a body would work with weight on it.  I think in this case it’s the same thing except instead of trying to understand mass we are learning to understand motion. 
         For learning the ribcage I am very glad that both our models are pretty slim since if not I think that it would be a lot harder to learn where the ribcage actually goes.  In the beginning of learning I had used the actual areas indicated by seen ribs to stop the ribcage and areas that you can actually see the pelvis.  Now I have a better understanding of how they work and think I can draw from what I know rather than what I see. 
It is still a little hard for me to be able to rotate a egg within my head and place it into the body so that I can understand how the egg looks, but this is a skill I need to practice because if I can understand an egg in three-d space.  Since I am going into animation it is important to be able to envision what the characters attitudes and what the overall composition of the character is going to look like as they move in a virtual world. 
This week I hope to allot myself more time to actually studying the muscles names and what they look like when actually drawing them.  I am also excited because I finally got to asking off work on Tuesdays again, which means less income but I’m going to be able to go to the open drawings which I am super pumped about.
The drawings are from my newsprint I had on friday.  I think from looking at the different drawings it is easier to see whether the poses are dynamic or not by looking if the actual way that the pelvis and the ribcage are set up.  Most of his poses are straight up and down but he moves his legs and arms, which is good for me getting a grip on how to draw through even if there are items in the way. The girl usually thinks more about what we are drawing and tries to compensate and give us many different positions to draw and for that I think I have to excersize o my hand quite a bit.  Each of them are helping me in order to understand how to understand the under workings weather something is in the front of a body or if it is in an extreme pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment